This society was formed in the Faculty of Education, University of Ibadan in May 1982 as a result of the international call for national societies to register history of education societies as affiliates of ISCHE. With the support of Professor Adeleke Adeyinka of the University of Botswana and Professor Michael Omolewa the then Nigerian Ambassador to UNESCO in Paris, Dr. Israel Olu Osokoya was urged to invite Nigerian historians of Education to form the ISCHE Nigeria. Dr. Israel Olu Osokoya was elected the founding President while Dr. Mrs. Grace Akanbi of Emmanuel Alayande College of Education became the Vice President. The first international conference attended by the members of the society was in 2004 at the University of Geneva in Switzerland. The first National Conference was held at the University of Ibadan Conference Centre in December 2004. Since 2004, members of the association have been presenting papers at the annual international standing conference as organised all over the world. For further information on the international conference, click ISCHE Conferences.
Prof. Michael Omolewa, one of the most living Nigerian Historian of Education was appointed as the Life Patron of ISCHE Nigeria as a result of his contributions to the development of ISCHE Nationally and Internationally. For more information about the Life Patron, click here
For more information about the founding president, visitwww.israeloluosokoya.com.
Aims of the Society
History of Education Society of Nigeria has the following objectives:
- To foster research in the field of the History of Education in Nigeria
- To facilitate national contact, intellectual exchange and cooperation between all those who work in the field of the History of Education in Nigeria.
- To develop an appreciation of the History of Education and its contribution to an understanding of Education
- To encourage the teaching of the History of Education in Teacher Education at higher levels.
- To arrange and promote sessions, including the functions, seminars, study groups, meetings, working groups, networks, websites and publications towards achieving these aims.
To view the constitution of the society, click here
Membership is open to all scholars, including graduate students, who work on the History of Education in Nigeria. The number of our members has been growing from what it was as at the beginning. We now have over sixty participants in the last meeting while six of our founding members have been honoured fellows of the society.
The Current Members of the Executive Committee are as follows:
- The President – Dr. Mrs. Alice Jekayinfa, Associate Professor, University of Ilorin, Kwara State, Nigeria.
- The Vice President – Dr. Ahmed Chiroma Aminu, Provost, Federal College of Education, Yola, Adamawa State, Nigeria
- The General Secretary – Dr. Asiru, Emmanuel Alayande College of Education, Oyo, Oyo State, Nigeria
- The Treasurer – Dr. Mrs. Grace Akanbi, Emmanuel Alayande College of Education, Oyo, Oyo State, Nigeria
- The Auditor – Prof Amakievi Gabriel, Rivers State University of Science and Technology, Port-Harcourt.